Rescue Pacifica is an affinity group recommending a set of candidates running for the KPFA Local Station Board who are aligned with our no compromise platform to get KPFA and Pacifica on track.
What are we rescuing Pacifica Radio from? The forces trying to rip it apart: neoliberalism, voluntary bankruptcy proponents, seceders, and disrupters.
The only way we can speak truth to power in this time of societal dissolution is united. United with integrity, both here at KPFA, and throughout Pacifica. No collusion with breaking up the 250 strong community radio network, watering down programming, throwing the foundation upon the mercy of the federal judiciary in the era of Trump, or leasing off pieces of Pacifica.
Thank you for your support in 2018. 80% of Rescue Pacifica’s endorsed candidates made it on the board!
The 2019 election is coming up. Here are Rescue Pacifica’s recommended candidates.
|Marilyn Langlois||Tom Voorhees ||Christine Pepin|
|Mantra Plonsey||Karina Stenquist||Don Macleay|
|Steve Zeltzer||Ann Garrison||Darlene Pagano|
|(Staff Candidate)||(Staff Candidate)||(Staff Candidate) ( RP was split on this recommendation )|
Please consider donating to help us get the word out!
Here is our platform
We are a group of KPFA listeners and staff, who value KPFA in our lives, as well as the Pacifica Foundation and the services it provides to 5 radio stations in major metropolitan areas across the country, the historic archives, 250 local affiliate stations, and Pacifica’s role as the only nationwide community radio network in the US. We came together because others whose aims are counter to Pacifica’s mission statement and bylaws have been working to gain control of KPFA and the other stations.
We believe in:
- Reliable news from a variety of independent sources and the field, not the corporatized wire services
- An anti-war stance as opposed to support for “humanitarian interventions”
- Support Julian Assange and other such whistleblowers.
- Air time for diverse grassroots community groups including during the morning drive time
- Bargaining rights for both the paid and the unpaid staff since the unpaid workers produce 70% of the station’s program schedule.
- Addition of new technology to broaden KPFA’s online reach. Expansion into video content.
- Vigilant free speech and anti-censorship radio
- Democratic governance and shared decision making among station workers and the community.
- Keeping listeners informed about governance matters.
- Restoring a democratic Program Council to Make programming decisions.
NOTE: We protest the summary termination of Guns & Butter from the air and archives without due process.
- Retaining independence from any privatized ownership.
- No commercial underwriting
- Responsible budgeting and timely and transparent financial reporting to listeners.
- Keeping the Pacifica Foundation intact.
DISCLAIMER: This is not an official Pacifica Foundation website nor an official website of any of the five Pacifica Radio Stations (KPFA Radio, KPFK Radio, KPFT Radio, WBAI Radio, WPFW Radio). Opinions and facts alleged on this site belong to the author(s) of the website only and should NOT be assumed to be true or to reflect the editorial stance or policy of the Pacifica Foundation, or any of the five Pacifica Radio Stations (KPFA Radio, KPFK Radio, KPFT Radio, WBAI Radio, WPFW Radio), or the opinions of its management, Pacifica National Board, station staff or other listener members.